Report on Voyageur National Park.
The end of summer is fast approaching, and I wanted to share some updates related to the park. Please share as you see fit.
- The region continues to see dry conditions and campfire restrictions remain in place at the park. Currently there are no active fire incidents within the park boundaries. The most recent incident, the Lucille Lake Fire, in the southeast corner of the park was called contained and managed as of late last week. This was a lightning strike fire that impacted about 17 acres.
- As of yesterday, the park tour boat, the Voyageur, on Rainy Lake is out of commission due to a mechanical issue. It is anticipated repairs will take about two weeks or so, depending on availability of parts. Many of you may be getting inquiries about alternative boat tour options from area visitors.
- As of 8/4, with changes in community transmission of the COVID virus, the park has reimplemented a mask requirement for interior public spaces. This includes our visitor centers, headquarters reception area, the interior cabin of the tour boat, and the lobby, bar, and dining room of the Kettle Falls Hotel. I realize this is frustrating on many levels. We are following agency and CDC guidance to assure the ongoing safety of the park staff, their families, local community, and visitors to our area. If you have guests planning on visiting the park public interior spaces, please advise them of this operational change.
- Thank you to the Rainy Lake Sportfishing Club and the Voyageurs Conservancy for all the assistance they provided in establishing the new accessible fishing pier out of the Rainy Lake Visitor Center picnic area. We had an event last Saturday that was attended by about 200 people. If all goes well we will be doing a similar event to celebrate improvements completed at the Ellsworth Rock Gardens on Lake Kabetogama in early September.
- Help share the word about our spectacular dark sky resource! The park has a variety of dark sky programs scheduled for next week.